Black Bean Burger Recipe
Heart Healthy Recipe Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons prepared Mango Chutney
- 3/4 cup plain Non-Fat Yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper - seeded &
- 2 cans Black Beans (16 ozs each) - drained &
- 3/4 cup Red Onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup plain Dry Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Radishes - coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup Cilantro - chopped
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin - ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom - ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander - ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger - ground
- 6 pitas, 6" - 7" in diameter - opened to form
- 1 cup Radish Sprouts or Alfalfa
Food Preparation Instructions:
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, chutney, lime juice and
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3
- In a processor or mixing bowl, place beans, onion,
crumbs, radishes, curry powder, cumin, cardamom, coriander and
- Process or mash with a potato masher to blend the
ingredients and partially puree the beans.
- Prepare a barbecue fire, or preheat a gas grill
or your broiler.
- Use your hands to form the bean mixture into 6 patties,
each 3" - 4" in diameter.
- Grill or broil the patties, turning once carefully with a
spatula, until browned and crusty on both sides - about 10 minutes total.
- Spoon about 1 tablespooon of the chutney yogurt into each
- Add the burgers and garnish with the remaining
chutney yogurt, sprouts, and cilantro.
Low-Fat Lunch Meal Serves 6