Eggs Florentine Recipe
Heart Healthy Recipe Ingredients:
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1-2 Tomatoes - trimmed and cut into 4 1” thick slices
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic - minced
- 5 cups (5oz) fresh Baby Spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Fat Free Milk
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons White Wine (optional)
- Spray a medium sized nonstick skillet with non fat, butter flavored cooking spray.
- Set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until soft - about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach, wine, lemon zest and nutmeg.
- Cook until the spinach has wilted - about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the milk and yogurt and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly - about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese and salt and pepper.
- Fill a small saucepan with 3 inches of water. Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar.
- Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Crack an egg over a small bowl.
- Separate the egg yolk from the white, so that only the white of the egg is in the bowl.
- Discard the yolk.
- Gently pour the separated egg white into the simmering water.
- Allow the egg to cook for approximately 3 minutes.
- If the egg starts to break up, use a spoon to guide it back to the center of the pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the egg from the water and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the 3 remaining egg whites.
- To serve, place a tomato slice on each plate and season with some salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/4 of the spinach sauce over the tomato slice.
- Top with a poached egg and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serve warm.
Cholesterol Free Breakfast Meal - Serves 4