Grilled Eggplant Sandwich Recipe
Heart Healthy Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 medium Eggplant
- 6 slices whole-wheat Bread - lightly toasted
- approx. 3 ounces Mushrooms - sliced
- 3 ounces fat-free Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tablespoon hummus for each piece of bread
- Lettuce Leaves
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Pam Cooking spray or equivalent
Food Preparation Instructions:
- Heat up a small grill.
- Slice the eggplant into thin slices and spray each slice lightly with cooking spray.
- Grill the slices for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until the eggplant begins to brown.
- Grill the mushroom slices for approximately 1 minute on each side.
- Remove eggplant and mushrooms from grill.
- Spread the hummus on the toast, arrange all bread on a cookie sheet.
- Layer each piece of bread with eggplant, mushrooms and a sprinkle of the cheese.
- Put the pieces of bread together in sandwich form.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Open the sandwiches and stick lettuce and alfalfa sprouts inside.
- Eat sandwiches with a fork and a knife or open face as preferred.
Low Cholesterol Sandwich Serves 3