Black-Eyed Peas Lobia Indian Recipe
Heart Healthy Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 cup dried Black-Eyed Peas
- 2 teaspoons grated Ginger Root
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoons Tumeric
- 1-2 Green Chilis - chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Pulp or NF Plain Yogurt
- 2/3 cup sliced Onion
- 1/2 tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- 4-5 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2-3 tablespoon Cilantro Leaves
- Rinse and soak beans for a couple of hours in at least 3
1/2 cups of water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring beans to a boil over medium heat, add half
the ginger, the chili powder, and the tumeric.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook slowly for 45-50 minutes.
- Add remaining ginger, chilis, tamarind pulp or yogurt, mix it well and
it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slowly dry fry onion to gradually carmelize it, as it begins to color add cumin seeds and garlic
(add a little H2O to prevent burning if necessary).
- Remove pan from heat just as garlic
- Pour mixture into beans, together with Garam masala,
stir and cook another 5 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Low-Fat Indian Meal - Serves 4
Back to Top