Sweet Potato Black-Eyed Pea Soup Recipe
Photo Courtesy Of Yummly.com
Heart Healthy Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 medium Sweet Potato - thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked Black-Eyed Peas
- 2 cups canned Tomatoes - chopped with
- 2 cups low-fat Chicken Broth - low
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic - roasted
- 1 teaspoon low-fat Peanut Butter -
- 2 Green Onions - chopped
- 2 tablespoons Green Bell Pepper -
- 2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce - low sodium
- 1/8 teaspoon Saffron Threads
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
- 4 dashes Bitters - to garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped Peanuts or honey-coated Sunflower
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Food Preparation Instructions:
- If using canned black eyes, drain and rinse
- Use recipe ready frozen beans if you can
get them, or cook your own.
- Put everything into a heavy soup pan, except the salt and pepper and the garnishes.
- Bring just to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, mostly covered, until the potato is tender and the
soup has mellowed - about 25
- Serve very hot, adding a couple of drops of bitters, along with
nuts or seeds at table.
- Makes 6 cups to serve 2 main or 4 side portions.
Cholesterol Meal Serves 2